At CLC British values are of paramount importance to us. We see British values as underpinning what it is to be a citizen in a modern and diverse Great Britain.
As well as actively promoting these values to our learners, we are also embedding these into learners work across all curriculum areas.
The four key British values are:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
We aim to:
- Help learners to become valuable and rounded members of society who treat others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background
- Promote the basic British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different beliefs and faiths to learners
- Ensure learners understand the importance of respect and are fully prepared for life in modern Britain
- Encourage an understanding of the difficulties other cultures face where such values are not respected
- Embed different materials about democracy and how the law works into different curriculum areas
- Ensure that all our learners have a voice that is listened to and valued and demonstrate how democracy works through encouraging learners to feedback to CLC through learner Surveys and reviews
- Use opportunities such as new bulletins, general elections and debates to promote British values and help learners to argue and defend different points of view
- Develop and encourage extra-curricular activities amongst learners which promote fundamental British values
- Encourage learners to become responsible learners and to actively participate in their own learning and development